Thursday, October 16, 2014

"What do you know about service dogs?"


      I conducted a survey to see how much people actually knew about service dogs in general, and if they knew anything about the Wildcat Service Dogs organization. The first question I asked was "Do you or does anyone you know require a service dog?" I actually did not get any responses saying "yes" to this question, which I was kind of surprised by. The second question was, "What do you think service dogs are capable of doing? Check all that apply." The options were, "Leading the blind.", "Detecting high or low blood sugar.", "Opening/closing doors.", and "All of the above." For the majority of the results for this question I had people answer "All of the above", which is true, but then I also had a few responses that had either "Leading the blind" and "open doors" checked, or just one or the other. Therefore, I feel like providing information about all the things that service dogs can be trained to do would be very beneficial to our documentary. Another question I asked if anyone had any encounters with a service dog, such as being around a family member who required one, or had done any previous training with service dogs and if so, to explain; all of the responses were "no." The last two questions I asked were "Have you heard about Wildcat Service Dogs prior to this survey?" and "Are you interested in learning more about this organization and/ or getting involved with Wildcat Service Dogs?" The results were split approximately 50/50 when asked if they had heard of the organization. The choices for the last question were: "I would like to learn more.", "I would like to get involved.", or "Neither." Most said they wanted to get involved, and no one responded with "neither". One flaw I found was the sample size was very small, so for any future surveys I will need to try and figure out a better way to get the survey more publicity and hopefully get more responses. However, I do feel like the survey gave an idea of how much people know about service dogs and the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment